Sunday, July 13, 2008

Pathological Lying vs. Compulsive Lying

When I first looked for help with the problem of lying, I looked for help with pathological lying. We've all heard the term "pathological liar" and that is what I thought I was. That word "pathological", it is both discomfiting and oddly relaxing. After all, if what I have is a pathology, a disease, then it's not my fault...right? On the other hand, I don't want to be a "pathological" anything, do I? It sounds so final. But I had never heard of "compulsive lying" before and I did not realize that there was any other possibility.

The website Truth About Deception helped me discover the existence of "compulsive liars" and now I understand why the different terms are necessary.
A pathological liar is usually defined as someone who lies incessantly to get their way and does so with little concern for others. Pathological lying is often viewed as coping mechanism developed in early childhood and it is often associated with some other type of mental health disorder. A pathological liar is often goal-oriented (i.e., lying is focused - it is done to get one's way). Pathological liars have little regard or respect for the rights and feelings of others. A pathological liar often comes across as being manipulative, cunning and self-centered.


That is what I always thought about liars and why it took me a long time to realize that I am a liar. While there are times when I lie to gain something (for example, exaggerating stories for attention), lying is not usually something I think about or plan around. I rarely lie to gain something tangible. I never tell lies to hurt other people. Also, I have a lot of respect for the rights and feelings of others and I am very empathetic. I don't know if I am a narcissist although I very much doubt it, but I know that I am not a sociopath. I would wager that most of the people who search for help on this subject will not be pathological liars. Pathological liars gain from their lies and use lies for power.

On the other hand, here is the description of a compulsive liar:
A compulsive liar is defined as someone who lies out of habit. Lying is their normal and reflexive way of responding to questions. Compulsive liars bend the truth about everything, large and small. For a compulsive liar, telling the truth is very awkward and uncomfortable while lying feels right. Compulsive lying is usually thought to develop in early childhood, due to being placed in an environment where lying was necessary. For the most part, compulsive liars are not overly manipulative and cunning (see, Pathological Liar), rather they simply lie out of habit - an automatic response which is hard to break and one that takes its toll on a relationship.


Sad but true. For me, lying is a bad, pervasive habit much more than a tactic or strategy. It's driving me crazy and because I lie so much I feel like I don't know who I am, what I really want, what I really think or how to relate to others. My lies create a wall that cuts off the possibility of real human connection. That's how I feel. It is easier to lie than it is to tell the truth. I have known people who have difficulty lying. It shows all over their countenance, they may stutter or turn red, and they just look embarrassed. I know someone who just can't help telling the truth even when it hurts. In my opinion this person says way too much but I am probably the last person who can determine that, since I say way too little that is true. However, the point remains that for me, it is truth-telling that is awkward and painful and anxiety-inducing. I have to "plan" to tell the truth, whereas a lie can flow from my lips like water. The worst thing is that I don't think about it, I just do it.

I also identify with the fact that it seemed necessary to lie when I was a child. The truth was not really appreciated. You'd be punished if you told a truth that adults didn't want to hear. Deeper than that, I felt like my own personal truths and way of being were not welcome. I remember being embarrassed when I would reveal myself in some way to my peers in an effort to make friends. My way was always strange, and I'd either be taken advantage of or shunned. I have always felt like an outsider.

Looking at lying as a compulsive habit rather than a pathological state helps me to believe that there could be hope. Bad habits may be terribly hard to break but there are many strategies available and people who can help. Therapy is probably really good for this, and I did tell my therapist about my lying problem. She seemed to take it in stride. The most important thing I have realized is that lying started as a symptom of a problem. While lying has certainly caused problems in my life, whatever is behind it has caused more.

No comments: